Department of Space Information Technologies and Systems
The department specializes on developing complex distributed systems for satellite data processing.
The main task given to the department is development, validation and implementation of different satellite data processing methods in the form of information services and certain systems
Areas of Scientific interest:
- Machine learning techniques to deal with Big data problems
- validation of land cover maps
- intelligent computing using neural networks
- mathematical modelling of complex processes and systems
- intelligent multi-agent security systems
- satellite data processing
- distance learning technologies
- strategic planning
Staff of the department are the authors of three monographs, one popular science edition on programming, one educational book approved by Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine,
and also a large number of articles in leading Ukrainian and foreign journals. (Detailed - in "Publications")
Space Research Institute NAS Ukraine and SSA Ukraine is included in the consortium as participant of project “ERA-PLANET. The European network to coordinate Earth observation for our changing planet” from Ukraine in program HORIZON 2020.
Space Rereserch Institute takes a part in "SIGMA – FP7 Project “Stimulating Innovation for Global Monitoring of Agriculture” ".
Purpose of the project is to developing innovative methods based on the integration satellite and in-situ data to predict the impact of crop production on ecosystems and natural resources.
Staff of the department was developed Web-portal for Agromonitoring System for the Ministry of Agrarian Policy.
On the basis of the Space Research Institute NASU and SSAU the regional support office of UN-SPIDER program was created.
Staff of the department takes an active part in many national and international projects.
Within the constraints of National Space Program of Ukraine staff of the department take part in the development of Ukrainian Grid segment of GEOSS system (Global Earth Observation System of Systems) — system GEO-UA.
In 2011 specialists of department have successfully finished the european project "Estimation of crop areas based on the satellite data in Ukraine", within which ground verification of satellite data used for the research.
These algorithms are used for applications in agriculture and monitoring for agricultural enterprise.
During the 2011-2012, the staff of the department of the Space Research Institute will be carried out the international project "Analysis of climate change and food security through remote sensing and ground-based observations" under the guidance of Dr. Kussul N.
In 2007 specialists of department have successfully finished the project “GRID technologies for environmental monitoring using satellite data”(¹ 3872, 2005-2007).
Under this project basic Grid-infrastructure was developed. This infrasructure united the resources of SRI NASU-SSAU and Institute of Cybernetics NASU.
In 2007 the project «Data Fusion Grid Infrastructure» started witin the joined program INTAS-CNES-NSAU.
The aim of the project is the development of methods and technologies for satellite monitoring systems integration. Specifically integration of systems of SPI NASU-NSAU and SRI RAS(Russia).
In purpose of getting archive and operative data from European remote sensing satellites (Envisat è ERS-2) the grants ESA Category-1 “Wide Area Grid Testbed for Flood Monitoring using Spaceborne SAR and Optical Data” (2007-2008) and
“Regional drought monitoring using wide swath SAR and optical data” were won.
Specialists of the department frequently take part in the competitive projects of NASU on applied and fundumental theoretical research. Specifically within the scientific, technological and innovative projects of NASU.
The leading specialists of the department are the members of the working groupWorking Group on Information Systems and Services (WGISS) of CEOS committee and participate in the development of satellite date processing Grid-system Wide Area Grid (WAG).
Detailed - in "Projects" and "Services".
On the base of Institute of Physics and Technology of National Technical University of Ukraine “Kiev Polytechnic Institute” the staff of the department teach the following cources:
- Intelligent computing
- Software engineering
- Expert systems
- Automatic control theory
- Computer architecture
The leading specialist of the department Andrii Shelestov has successfully defended doctoral dissertation "Methods, models
and tehnologies for the analysis and development of Earth Observation Grid" and obtained scirntific degree - Doctor of Technical Sciences on information technologies (second scientific degree)
Under the leadership of Prof. Nataliia Kussul were dissertated and gained six Ph.D. degrees:
Under the leadership of Prof. Andrii Shelestov were dissertated and gained two Ph.D. degrees:
- Ruslan Basarab, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: “Inductive methods for pre-processing of remote sensing data (“Sich-2“)“ (28.04.2015)
- Andrii Kolotij, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Regression models for winter wheat crop yield forecast based on satellite data" (25.07.2014)
- Serhiy Yanchevskiy, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Multicriteria optimization of long-term planning space imagery" (08.06.2012)
- Ekaterina Nasuro, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Models and methods for neural network classification of satellite images" (22.05.2012)
- O.Kravchenko, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Models, methods and informational technologies of vegetation and soil state monitoring" (16.06.2009)
- Nguen Than Phuong(Vietnam), the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Informational technologies for parallel filtration of impulse noiseon satellite data" (21.11.2005)
- Serhiy Skakun, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Êîìïëåêñíûé àíàëèç ïîâåäåíèÿ ïîëüçîâàòåëåé â êîìïüþòåðíîé ñèñòåìå íà îñíîâàíèè íåéðîñåòåâûõ ìîäåëåé" (05.10.2005)
- Bohdan Yailymov, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Automated information technology for land cover mapping based on satellite data fusion methods and models" (21.12.2016)
- Iuliia Grypych, the title of the Ph.D. thesis: "Neural network models and information technologies of classification and risk assessment based on geospatial information" (12.09.2012)